RED SOX NEWS: Boston Consider Extending Contract of Reliever Heading Into Retirement

‘It’s pretty clear the value he had’

NESN on X: ""It's pretty clear the value he had." The Red Sox have  considered bringing back a familiar face to the bullpen for 2025.  https://t.co/1cvy8CD6Fu" / X

The Boston Red Sox have already extended a qualifying offer (worth $21.05 million) to pitcher Nick Pivetta, and the organization might bring back another fellow right-hander.

Chris Martin, one of the most effective relief pitchers in Boston’s bullpen for the past two seasons, became an unrestricted free agent as soon as the 2024 season reached its end. But even though Martin can field calls from any team across the league, the 38-year-old’s time in a Red Sox uniform might’ve not reached its end for good just yet.

“Obviously it’s pretty clear the value he had,” Red Sox chief baseball officer Craig Breslow told reporters at the GM Meetings on Wednesday, per MassLive’s Christopher Smith. “We saw that when he was pitching and when we didn’t have him available to pitch. And so we know we have some work to do in kind of rebuilding the bullpen and obviously could see there being a fit there.”

When Martin debuted with the Red Sox in 2022, the franchise struck gold. Martin was aging, but doing so like fine wine. He made 55 appearances, tossed 51 1/3 innings and recorded an impressive 1.05 ERA, finishing 12th in the American League Cy Young Award vote. However, since Boston finished dead last in the AL East at 78-84 and missed postseason contention, Martin’s stellar performance was overshadowed.

It’d be unfair to expect Martin to replicate that level of success at this stage in the nine-year veteran’s career, but it also wouldn’t take a 1.05 ERA for Martin to supply an effective impact out of the bullpen.

Plus, there’s also the looming possibility of Martin calling it a career, which he expressed toward the end of 2024 after logging a 3.45 ERA for Boston across 45 relief appearances (44 1/3 innings). Martin dealt with both elbow inflammation and anxiety-related issues in July, prompting the team to place him on the 15-day injured list.

The likelihood Martin will pitch beyond 2025 isn’t promising — for now.

“We have a fourth (child) on the way,” Martin said in September, per Smith. “Obviously I want to be there for them. And they’re getting to the ages where they’re starting to play sports. I’m getting older. Obviously 40 years old and playing baseball is going to be hard on me mentally and physically. I think that probably will be the cutoff. We’ll see. I don’t want to say 100%. I’d say 95% that next year will be my last year. I just want to be completely focused these last 11 days here and then if the opportunity comes next year — a team’s still gotta want me so we’ll see.”

Martin added: “To be 100% honest, I think next year will be my last year.”

Related Posts

Red Sox Keep Fueling Matt Shaw and Nico Hoerner Trade Rumors

IMAGE: Imagn Images The Red Sox made a move this offseason by signing veteran infielder Isiah Kiner-Falefa to a one-year, $6 million deal. But if that signing…

Rangers Finalize Deal With Veteran Pitcher Ahead Of Spring Training

IMAGE: Chicago Cubs starting pitcher Ryan Brasier (54) delivers a pitch against the Kansas City Royals during the first inning at Wrigley Field. / Kamil Krzaczynski /…

LIVERPOOL SEAL SUNDERLAND DEAL FOR LUTSHAREL GEERTRUIDA THIS MORNING — ON HIS WAY TO ANFIELD ! 😱

LIVERPOOL, Inglaterra – En un giro inesperado, Liverpool ha sellado un acuerdo con Sunderland para la incorporación de Lutsharel Geertruida, quien se encuentra en camino a Anfield. Este movimiento se produce en un momento crítico, con la fecha límite de transferencias a solo horas de distancia y los aficionados ansiosos por ver nuevas caras en […]

CONGRATULATIONS: Red Sox legend Dustin Pedroia has been elected to the Baseball Hall of Fame

CONGRATULATIONS: Red Sox legend Dustin Pedroia has been elected to the Baseball Hall of Fame The baseball world is celebrating as Dustin Pedroia, one of the most…

Jurgen Klopp called out for ‘naughty’ Liverpool comments that ‘didn’t help’ Slot

Jurgen Klopp’s comments about the Liverpool manager job have caused quite a stir

Braves News: Jeff Francoeur’s journey didn’t end on the field—it transformed in the broadcast booth. Now entering his 2026 campaign, “Frenchy” is being hailed as Skip Caray’s modern successor. The Natural has found a new way to define Braves baseball

Jeff Francoeur’s Quiet Transformation: From Atlanta’s “Frenchy” to the Braves’ Voice of Perspective in 2026 ATLANTA, GA — In the landscape of Georgia sports, few names trigger…