HOT SEARCH: Padres president A.J. Preller was honest when reacting to Roki Sasaki turning down San Diego and choosing to sign with the Dodgers instead.

Padres president A.J. Preller was honest when reacting to Roki Sasaki turning down San Diego and choosing to sign with the Dodgers instead.

SO glad Roki Sasaki wanted to be in LA 👏

Via Kevin Acee, SDUT

On Friday afternoon, the offseason became even drearier for a San Diego Padres organization that has experienced little success since making a first-round exit from the playoffs. Roki Sasaki announced he would be joining the Los Angeles Dodgers via his Instagram.

At the start of the offseason, there was a strong belief Sasaki was destined for the Dodgers. The impression was so strong, MLB was forced to investigate if an unwritten deal between the Japanese phenom and reigning World Series champions existed.

The league found no wrongdoing.

Padres will have to move on without Roki Sasaki, who chooses Dodgers – San Diego Union-Tribune

But as the winter unfolded, there were many who believed Sasaki would rather join a smaller-market team as a young, developing pitcher. Especially with Yu Darvish in the rotation, the Padres appeared to be the perfect fit.

However, like Shohei Ohtani and Yoshinobu Yamamoto, Sasaki did not follow Darvish to San Diego.

“At the end of the day, we want players that want to be here,” Preller said. “We’ll move forward and look to add to a really talented roster.”

There is some soul-searching that needs to be done. The Dodgers could not outbid any team for Sasaki, this competition was about teams giving the 23-year-old their best pitch.

Why did the Padres fail to convince San Diego was the best option for Sasaki? This question could have a number of answers, and could largely be a result of Sasaki’s own desires and by no means the fault of the Padres.

However, there are a number of questions which remain unanswered with less than a month until spring training opens. The Padres have not signed any major league free agents or made any trades, but the team has several roster needs to address.

“We’ve seen offseasons where we’ve been really aggressive and been able to line up on moves early in the offseason and other years, like last year, where it was later in the process,” Preller said. “… We’ve got a really good core and good foundation we like a lot, and we’ve got some needs as well.”

A long, cold winter in San Diego continues.

Related Posts

MET SWOOP: Dodgers’ free agent outfielder signs with the New York Mets, adding firepower to the roster and shaking up the NL East offseason landscape..ll

The Los Angeles Dodgers lost a free agent, as he signed a minor league deal with the New York Mets on Tuesday.

Mets, kèm bản Anh & Việt: SMALL MOVES, BIG IMPACT: The 5 most interesting under-the-radar roster additions the New York Mets have made this offseason — subtle tweaks that could secretly reshape the entire year..ll

The MLB offseason is so young it hasn’t even begun to eat solids. After Thanksgiving is when movement seems to truly pick up. So far, we’ve seen the New York Me

COHEN’S ANGRY WAKE-UP CALL: Re-grading the 2021 New York Mets shopping spree after Steve Cohen woke up furious, sparking fresh debate on which signings were steals, which were mistakes, and how the spending spree truly aged..ll :

New York Mets owner Steve Cohen woke unhappy on November 24, 2021. It was the eve of Thanksgiving and Steve Matz had signed with the St. Louis Cardinals rather

YANKEES GO NUCLEAR: New York Yankees predicted to sign a $460 million four-time All-Star and World Series champion to counter the Blue Jays’ Dylan Cease move, setting up an AL East arms race like never before..ll

The Yankees could fight fire with fire.

FREE AGENCY FIRE: Alex Bregman sends a pointed message to Cody Bellinger amid MLB free agency, sparking buzz about rivalry, respect, and what’s coming next in a high-stakes offseason..ll

Both the Boston Red Sox and New York Yankees enter 2026 with well-positioned rosters capable of making a run, but each faces the challenge of addressing two high-profile free agents. Outfielder Cody…

ALONSO STAYING IN NEW YORK: Mets president delivers good news to fans, confirming Pete Alonso signing before MLB’s trade deadline — but the shocking price tag leaves everyone stunned..ll

In a surprising turn of events that has sent shockwaves through the baseball world, the New York Mets president made a bold announcement, delivering good news to devoted fans. The revelation centers on the confirmation of Pete Alonso‘s signing just before the MLB trade deadline, a move that promises to bolster the team’s lineup for the remainder of the season. However, the price tag attached to this deal has left everyone stunned, raising eyebrows and sparking intense discussions among baseball enthusiasts. This article delves deep into the details of this shocking news, exploring the implications for the New York Mets, Pete Alonso‘s career, and the broader landscape of Major League Baseball.