EXCLUSIVE: Gavin Lux Says He Was Shocked About Being Traded From Dodgers

The Dodgers traded second baseman Gavin Lux to the Cincinnati Reds on Monday.

Although a trade involving Lux had been highly anticipated, the 27-year-old said he was shocked the Dodgers traded him. He learned the news on the same night of his grandfather’s 91st birthday.

“It’s initially a little bit of a shock,” Lux said Tuesday. “That’s a big deal, a lot going on, but we just said, ‘Whatever, we’re going to enjoy the night and celebrate his (grandfather’s 91st) birthday and go from there.’ We just kept on going.”

The Dodgers drafted Lux in the first round of the 2016 MLB draft. The Kenosha, Wisconsin native made his debut in Sept. 2019 and spent the first five seasons of his MLB career with Los Angeles.

“Obviously, the last nine, 10 years, Dodgers are the only thing I’ve ever known,” Lux said.

Lux revealed that the trade has evoked a lot of emotions. He said he is feeling a mixture of excitement and nervousness about joining the Reds.

“A lot of emotions, man,” Lux said. “I’m sure anyone who’s gotten traded can attest to that. You’re excited, you’re nervous, it’s a new place, a place you’ve never been.”

Lux will add to Cincinnati’s young group of growing talent.

Shortstop Elly De La Cruz and starting pitcher Hunter Greene each earned their first All-Star selections this season. The pair were the Reds’ only All-Stars in 2024.

“It’s a lot of emotions but I’m excited to get over there and be with that group of guys. There’s a lot of really good, young talent. I’m excited to get over there and help those guys win in any way I can.”

The Reds have not won a World Series since 1990. The franchise also made an appearance in the NL Wild Card Series in 2020 after a seven-year postseason drought, but has not returned to the postseason since.

Lux – a reigning World Series champion – will bring valuable postseason experience to the Reds in 2025.

Related Posts

Dodgers’ Shocking Plan to Retain Max Muncy in 2026 Defies All Odds. Insider’s Bold Claim Hints at a Blockbuster Move That’ll Stun Rivals. LA’s Slugger Is Poised to Rewrite the Diamond Script

Dodgers ‘Likely’ to Bring Back Max Muncy in 2026, Says Insider The Los Angeles Dodgers are eagerly awaiting the return of their third baseman. When healthy, Max Muncy…

Michael Conforto Exposes Dave Roberts’ Fiery Ultimatum to Dodgers as September Looms. The Skipper’s Bold Rally Cry Ignites a High-Stakes Pennant Chase. LA’s Clubhouse Is Buzzing with Do-or-Die Energy

Michael Conforto Reveals Dave Roberts’ Message to Dodgers as September Nears September is right around the corner, and there is still no clear frontrunner for the National…

Dodgers’ Megastar Spills on Vicious Fan Jab That Triggered a Stunning Shohei Ohtani Shake-Up. This Scorching Insult Ignited a Game-Changing Play That’ll Leave LA Fans Speechless. The Diamond Drama Just Hit a Wild New Peak

The Los Angeles Dodgers have been rolling ever since winning the final game of their latest series with the division rival San Diego Padres. Since then, they’ve…

Deadspin | Mets C Francisco Alvarez plans to play through pinky fracture

Deadspin | Mets C Francisco Alvarez plans to play through pinky fracture

Juan Soto’s Mets Bombshell: Francisco Lindor Isn’t Team’s True Leader

Francisco Lindor isn’t the New York Mets real leader? Not according to Juan Soto.

Mets’ Nolan McLean has three word message about Jonah Tong debut

Nolan McLean kept it short and simple when asked about Jonah Tong’s first big league appearance.