UPDATE NEWS: Teoscar declines qualifying offer, leaving Dodgers with decision

Outfielder Teoscar Hernández declined the qualifying offer extended to him by the Dodgers on Tuesday, making him a free agent.

Because Hernández declined the offer — which was worth $21.05 million this season — the Dodgers will receive a compensation pick in the 2025 MLB Draft if he signs with another team.

Of course, it remains possible Hernández could return to the Dodgers, who have a vacancy in left field. (Then again, they’ve also been linked with Juan Soto, the market’s top free agent, and are reportedly set to meet with the superstar slugger this week.)

“My hopes are really high,” Hernández said earlier this month. “Like I’ve said before, the Dodgers are the priority, obviously. I’m going to do everything in my power to come back.”

The 32-year-old Hernández set a career high with 33 home runs and played a pivotal role in the Dodgers’ run to the World Series, recording key hits in all three rounds.

Hernández batted .272 with an .840 OPS and was honored as an All-Star, a Silver-Slugger Award winner and named a second-team All-MLB outfielder. In July, he won the Home Run Derby.

Hernández was the only player extended a qualifying offer by the Dodgers. Right-hander Walker Buehler did not receive one.

As with Hernández, there are plenty of reasons to believe Buehler could return as well.

Across MLB, 12 of the 13 players who received one ended up declining their qualifying offers. Only Cincinnati’s Nick Martinez accepted.

Related Posts

News Update: Rob Thomson Explains Plan for Catchers in Dodgers Series

With wild card Taijuan Walker making his first start of the season on Thursday, the Phillies did what most would expect and paired him up with everyday…

BREAKING: Alex Bregman Sounds Off On Fenway Park Debut After Hitting 1st Red Sox Home Run

Thursday is an exciting day to be Alex Bregman. The Boston Red Sox’s third baseman ticked off a major first in his new uniform on Thursday in the team’s 8-4 win

Campbell makes Red Sox history, Bregman leads way in series win over Orioles

Kristian Campbell, Triston Casas, and Alex Bregman’s 2-run homers powered the Red Sox to an 8-4 win over the Baltimore Orioles and their first series victory of 2025.

Why Red Sox’ Alex Cora spoke Spanish to Triston Casas; ‘It means something’

Red Sox manager Alex Cora delivered a message to the struggling Triston Casas in Spanish. Why?

Deadspin | Max Fried, Yankees aim to spoil Pirates’ home opener

Deadspin | Max Fried, Yankees aim to spoil Pirates’ home opener

Aaron Judge’s Hot Bat Highlights Powerful Opening Act For The New York Yankees

Aaron Judge is off to an incredibly fast start for the Yankees after often starting slowly and it highlighted a good opening week for the defending AL Champions.