Gov. signs stadium aid package for Chiefs, Royals

  • Missouri governor announces special session in attempt to keep Chiefs,  Royals in state
  • Associated Press

Jun 14, 2025, 06:53 PM ET

KANSAS CITY, Mo. — Gov. Mike Kehoe signed a legislative package on Saturday, approved by Missouri lawmakers earlier in the week, that includes hundreds of millions of dollars of financial aid intended to persuade the Chiefs and Royals to remain in the state.

Kehoe, a Republican, had called lawmakers into a special session, and they approved of the package Wednesday.

The Chiefs and Royals currently play at the Truman Sports Complex on the east side of Kansas City, where Arrowhead Stadium and Kauffman Stadium share parking facilities. But their leases with Jackson County, Missouri, expire in January 2031, and the two franchises have been trying to decide the best route forward for the past several years.

Last year, Jackson County voters defeated a sales tax extension that would have helped finance an $800 million renovation of Arrowhead Stadium — the home of the Chiefs — and a $2 billion ballpark district for the Royals in downtown Kansas City.

The slow movement by those on the Missouri side of the state line in supporting the franchises prompted lawmakers in Kansas to authorize bonds for up to 70% of the cost of new stadiums in their state. The Royals have bought a mortgage for property in Kansas, though the team also has continued to pursue other possible sites in Missouri.

The offer from Kansas is scheduled to expire June 30, and both teams have indicated they will hope to have a plan formulated by then. Missouri’s legislation authorizes bonds covering up to 50% of the cost of new or renovated stadiums, plus up to $50 million of tax credits for each stadium and unspecified aid from local governments.

If they choose to stay in Missouri, the Chiefs have floated plans for a $1.15 billion renovation of Arrowhead Stadium. The Royals have insisted all along that they intend to build a replacement for Kauffman Stadium.

The stadium subsidies already were a top concern in Missouri when a deadly tornado struck St. Louis on May 16, causing an estimated $1.6 billion of damage a day after lawmakers had wrapped up work in their annual regular session.

Disaster relief tied to stadium funding had widespread support. On Wednesday, Democratic state Rep. Kimberly-Ann Collins described to lawmakers how she had witnessed the tornado rip the roof off her house and damage her St. Louis neighborhood.

“Homes are crumbled and leveled,” Collins said, adding: “It hurts me to my core to see the families that have worked so hard, the businesses that have worked so hard, to see them ripped apart.”

The Chiefs, in a statement to The Associated Press, described the legislative vote this week as a “significant step forward” that enables the team to continue exploring options to remain in Missouri. The Royals described the legislation as “a very important piece of our decision-making process” but made no site-specific commitment.

“Our focus remains the same: to prioritize the best interests of our team, fans, partners and regional community as we pursue the next generational home for the Kansas City Royals,” the team said in a statement to the AP.

Though they have no specific plans in the works, the St. Louis Cardinals also would be eligible for stadium aid if they undertake a project of at least $500 million. They built their existing Busch Stadium nearly 20 years ago.

“We have the chance to maybe save what is the symbol of this state,” said state Rep. Jim Murphy, a Republican from St. Louis County.

The legislation did face some bipartisan pushback from those who described it as a subsidy for wealthy franchise owners. Others raised concerns that a property tax break for homeowners, which was added in the Senate to gain votes, violates the state constitution by providing different levels of tax relief in various counties while excluding others entirely.

“This bill is unconstitutional, it’s fiscally reckless, it’s morally wrong,” Republican state Rep. Bryant Wolfin said.

Related Posts

BREAKING! BASTONI TOUCHES DOWN AT AXA — LIVERPOOL CONFIRM NEW DEFENSIVE BEAST! 😱

BREAKING! Liverpool has officially confirmed the signing of defensive powerhouse Bastoni in a record British transfer. The six-year contract marks a significant moment for the club, as they bolster their defense ahead of the new season. Fans are buzzing with excitement as the transfer window enters its final week. Bastoni’s arrival comes after a flurry […]

BREAKING NEWS IN SAN FRANCISCO: The 49ers Just Received a Stunning Update on Maxx Crosby and Myles Garrett That Will Leave You Speechless! The latest development has sent shockwaves throughout the NFL, and fans are going wild trying to process the implications of this bold message. What does this mean for the team’s future, and how will this impact their chances of making a deep playoff run? Stay tuned for more updates as this story continues to unfold! 🚨🏈

SAN FRANCISCO DROP A BOMBSHELL: 49ers Hit With Bold Message on Maxx Crosby, Myles Garrett The San Francisco 49ers’ pass rush was one of the league’s biggest…

BREAKING NEWS: Travis Kelce’s courageous leap of faith pays off! He signs a two-year contract with the San Francisco 49ers worth $48 million, including multiple performance-based incentives. Driven by a passion for greatness, Kelce is drawn to the 49ers’ dynamic offensive system and their unwavering commitment to championship excellence. He believes this move will unleash his full potential, empowering him to reach new heights and inspire a generation of athletes. Head coach Kyle Shanahan envisions Travis Kelce as the catalyst who will propel the 49ers’ offense to unprecedented success, igniting a thrilling new era in San Francisco! 💥

BREAKING NEWS: Travis Kelce, one of the most talented and dynamic tight ends in NFL history, has officially signed a two-year contract with the San Francisco 49ers…

AT LAST! LIVERPOOL SEAL BASTONI DEAL — ANFIELD EXPLODES AS MEDICAL BEGINS!

¡AL FIN! LIVERPOOL CONFIRMA EL ACUERDO POR BASTONI — ¡ANFIELD EXPLOTA MIENTRAS INICIAN LOS EXÁMENES MÉDICOS! El Liverpool ha sellado un acuerdo histórico por el defensa Bastoni, quien ha firmado un contrato por seis años. La afición estalla de júbilo mientras el club confirma el traspaso de récord británico. La noticia ha causado una ola […]

SKY SPORTS CONFIRMS NEW CONTRACT!JÜRGEN KLOPP SHOCKS WORLD: SIGNS NEW CONTRACT WITH LIVERPOOL!

Liverpool FC fans, brace yourselves! In a stunning development, Jurgen Klopp has officially signed a new contract with the club, ensuring his continued leadership in what has been one of the most successful managerial eras in modern football. This news has sent shockwaves through the football world. After months of swirling rumors and uncertainty regarding […]

Breaking!! Dallas gave him flashes — Atlanta could give him freedom. PFF believes the Falcons are the best landing spot for Cowboys All-Pro receiver George Pickens in free agency, citing role clarity and offensive fit. The potential impact is already fueling league-wide buzz.

Dallas Cowboys Face Franchise Tag Dilemma With All-Pro WR George Pickens The Dallas Cowboys are approaching a crucial offseason decision involving NFL All-Pro wide receiver George Pickens,…