Yankees Have $298M Backup Plan Ready if Juan Soto Bolts, Says Insider

Everything about this winter’s Major League Baseball free agency revolves around Juan Soto and where he’ll land. The New York Yankees will try to re-sign the left-handed slugger, who could land a $600 million deal. But if Soto signs with a new team, Yankees general manager Brian Cashman has already devised a backup plan. New York acquired Soto from the San Diego Padres last December with hopes he’d help them return to October after missing the postseason in 2023.

Although the Yankees fell to the Los Angeles Dodgers in the World Series, it was the first time the Bombers reached the Fall Classic since 2009. The 26-year-old was a big reason behind everything New York accomplished in 2024. He hit .288/.419/.569 with 41 home runs, 109 RBI and 128 runs scored in 713 plate appearances. That production continued in the playoffs, evidenced by a .327/.469/.633 triple slash with four homers, nine RBI and 12 runs scored in 14 games. MLB.com’s Mark Feinsand hosted a Reddit AMA on Tuesday. He discussed the Yankees’ preferred offseason plan, as well as a backup plan if Soto decides to leave the Bronx.

“I, too, would expect Soto/(Christian)Walker/Reliever (Tanner Scott?) to be Plan A for the Yankees. But if Soto signs elsewhere, that would open up some money to spend for sure,” Feinsand said. “I could see the Yankees then going for Walker/(Alex) Bregman/Scott and possibly a starting pitcher, because as Brian Cashman loves to say, you can never have too much pitching. Either way, it’s going to be a fascinating offseason for the Yankees as they look to return to the World Series in 2025.”

While losing Soto would be tough, acquiring Walker, Bregman and Scott would fill three significant needs for the Yankees’ 2025 roster. Walker would take over at first base in Anthony Rizzo’s absence. Signing Bregman to play third base would enable Jazz Chisholm Jr. to move to second base. Scott would fortify the late innings alongside Luke Weaver now that Clay Holmes is a free agent. This would come at a fraction of the cost, assuming the Yankees want to re-sign Soto and fill other roster needs with above-average players. MLB Trade Rumors is predicting a $182 million contract for Bregman, a $60 million guarantee for Walker and $56 million for Scott. That leaves plenty of money left to add to the pitching staff and fill Soto’s spot in right field if he signs elsewhere.

Related Posts

MET SWOOP: Dodgers’ free agent outfielder signs with the New York Mets, adding firepower to the roster and shaking up the NL East offseason landscape..ll

The Los Angeles Dodgers lost a free agent, as he signed a minor league deal with the New York Mets on Tuesday.

Mets, kèm bản Anh & Việt: SMALL MOVES, BIG IMPACT: The 5 most interesting under-the-radar roster additions the New York Mets have made this offseason — subtle tweaks that could secretly reshape the entire year..ll

The MLB offseason is so young it hasn’t even begun to eat solids. After Thanksgiving is when movement seems to truly pick up. So far, we’ve seen the New York Me

COHEN’S ANGRY WAKE-UP CALL: Re-grading the 2021 New York Mets shopping spree after Steve Cohen woke up furious, sparking fresh debate on which signings were steals, which were mistakes, and how the spending spree truly aged..ll :

New York Mets owner Steve Cohen woke unhappy on November 24, 2021. It was the eve of Thanksgiving and Steve Matz had signed with the St. Louis Cardinals rather

YANKEES GO NUCLEAR: New York Yankees predicted to sign a $460 million four-time All-Star and World Series champion to counter the Blue Jays’ Dylan Cease move, setting up an AL East arms race like never before..ll

The Yankees could fight fire with fire.

FREE AGENCY FIRE: Alex Bregman sends a pointed message to Cody Bellinger amid MLB free agency, sparking buzz about rivalry, respect, and what’s coming next in a high-stakes offseason..ll

Both the Boston Red Sox and New York Yankees enter 2026 with well-positioned rosters capable of making a run, but each faces the challenge of addressing two high-profile free agents. Outfielder Cody…

ALONSO STAYING IN NEW YORK: Mets president delivers good news to fans, confirming Pete Alonso signing before MLB’s trade deadline — but the shocking price tag leaves everyone stunned..ll

In a surprising turn of events that has sent shockwaves through the baseball world, the New York Mets president made a bold announcement, delivering good news to devoted fans. The revelation centers on the confirmation of Pete Alonso‘s signing just before the MLB trade deadline, a move that promises to bolster the team’s lineup for the remainder of the season. However, the price tag attached to this deal has left everyone stunned, raising eyebrows and sparking intense discussions among baseball enthusiasts. This article delves deep into the details of this shocking news, exploring the implications for the New York Mets, Pete Alonso‘s career, and the broader landscape of Major League Baseball.