Aaron Boone Has a Message About Plans for Yankees’ Rookie

Yankees' Aaron Boone makes definitive Jasson Dominguez statement after spring training mistake | Yardbarker

The New York Yankees believe in Jasson Domínguez’s future in left field. They just aren’t handing him the full job quite yet, Aaron Boone said.

“Over time, I feel like I won’t do that,” the Yankees manager said before Wednesday’s game in Arizona, referring to his late-inning defensive switches. “Because I do feel like he’s going to get to a point to where he continues to develop, continues to get more and more comfortable with reps out there. To where my expectation is that he becomes an outstanding defensive left fielder.”

The 22-year-old, a natural center fielder, has started three of the Yankees’ first four games in left, but has yet to finish any of them in the field.

Each time, Boone has replaced him late with Trent Grisham, who slides into center while Cody Bellinger moves to left. Domínguez’s only full game so far came as a designated hitter.

Boone acknowledged the balance he’s trying to strike between giving Domínguez opportunities and protecting leads in close games.

“That’s an important part of this process,” he said. “Making sure Jasson continues to develop in the best possible way.”

It helps that Grisham, in Boone’s words, is “a really good player” and has been playing “at a really high level through his first several games.”

Domínguez made some mistakes in left last September and again this spring. But the Yankees like his athleticism and believe he can grow into the position with regular reps.

The trick is making sure he can learn without the pressure of worrying about making a mistake in the late innings.

 

Related Posts

Padres’ Fernando Tatis Jr. drops 9-word truth bomb on setting franchise record

The Padres are on fire — and Fernando Tatis Jr. is loving it. The San Diego Padres have come out of the gates firing, as they continued…

REPORT: $320 Million Mets, Dodgers News Turns Heads on Wednesday…

The New York Mets have been no strangers to spending money since being purchased by billionaire Steve Cohen in November of 2020. Since then, the Mets have…

Alex Cora Reveals Kristian Campbell’s Gesture Before Finalizing Extension

Alex Cora revealed a gesture from Kristian Campbell less than 24 hours before the Boston Red Sox signed the rookie to an eight-year extension.

BREAKING: Red Sox DH Rafael Devers’ ‘very happy’ reaction after breaking 0-for-21 slump

During the contest between the Red Sox and division-rival Orioles, Rafael Devers broke out of his slump, notching his first hit in 2025.

Red Sox 3, Orioles 0: A a great performance from Garrett Crochet and a much needed win

The Sox have their second win of the year.

Yankees’ Aaron Boone explains removing Jasson Dominguez late in games

New York Yankees manager Aaron Boone explains his controversial decision to bench Jasson Dominguez in late in games so far this season