URGENT NEWS: Patrick Mahomes reaggravates ankle injury during Monday Night Football contest

Kansas City Chiefs quarterback Patrick Mahomes (15) works in the pocket against the Tampa Bay...

KANSAS CITY, Mo. (KCTV) – Kansas City Chiefs quarterback Patrick Mahomes was tended to after going down with a lower-body injury in the fourth quarter of Monday night’s game.

Mahomes stepped awkwardly and needed assistance from trainers to get off the field after completing a touchdown pass to running back Samaje Perine in the fourth quarter of Kansas City’s Week 9 contest against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

“Definitely scary,” Mahomes said of the injury. “I think it hurt more just because it was the same one I hurt last week. Once I took my breath and calmed down a little bit, it ended up being not too bad. We were able to go into the tent, get the re-spat and go back on the football field.”

The touchdown pass tied the game at 17-17 and was Mahomes’ second of the night. He exited the game with a stat line of 23-for-29 for 189 yards and two touchdowns and returned to the game without missing any time to finish 34-for-44 for 291 yards and 3 touchdowns. Kansas City went on to win 30-24 with an overtime victory, improving to 8-0 on the season.

“I kind of laid there and as time went on the pain subsided,” Mahomes said. “It did, I got back to it, got back moving again and felt comfortable going out there.”

There was no contact between Mahomes and any Tampa Bay defender on the play. Asked to describe how the pain felt, Mahomes did it simply.

“Not good,” he said.

After exiting the blue medical tent, Mahomes then jogged down the sideline, igniting a roar from fans at Arrowhead Stadium. Chiefs trainers told ESPN’s Lisa Salters it was an ankle injury that caused Mahomes pain, something he and head coach Andy Reid confirmed postgame.

Mahomes did not miss any offensive snaps and returned to the game for the Chiefs’ next offensive series.

The 29-year-old Chiefs star said the injury wasn’t as bad from a pain management standpoint as when he got rolled up on and suffered a high ankle sprain in the AFC Divisional playoff game against the Jacksonville Jaguars in January 2023. That day, Reid forced Mahomes to return to the locker room for X-rays. When he told Mahomes he was going to be out of the game again Monday night, the quarterback was defiant again.

“I thought he was joking,” Mahomes said of Reid’s comment. “He said it and I was like, ‘Come on. We’re not doing this again.’ He trusts me and once the doctors checked me out and I was able to do the drops again I was able to get back on the football field.”

Mahomes ankle injury didn’t change his performance level. He continued his mastery of the Buccaneers defense en route to another dominant performance.

“I know in a sense it hurts you,” Mahomes said, “obviously it hurts — the ankle injury, but sometimes it almost settles me down, especially in the pocket when I can’t use my mobility. I feel like early in the game I was running into sacks because they were doing good in their pass rush lanes and (the injury) kind of settled me in the pocket and when our offensive line is blocking like that I can sit in the pocket and go through my reads and get to the right guy.”

Chiefs quarterback Patrick Mahomes walks off the field with trainers after reaggravating an...
Chiefs quarterback Patrick Mahomes walks off the field with trainers after reaggravating an ankle injury in a game against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers on Monday, Nov. 4, 2024.(KCTV5)

Related Posts

BREAKING! BASTONI TOUCHES DOWN AT AXA — LIVERPOOL CONFIRM NEW DEFENSIVE BEAST! 😱

BREAKING! Liverpool has officially confirmed the signing of defensive powerhouse Bastoni in a record British transfer. The six-year contract marks a significant moment for the club, as they bolster their defense ahead of the new season. Fans are buzzing with excitement as the transfer window enters its final week. Bastoni’s arrival comes after a flurry […]

BREAKING NEWS IN SAN FRANCISCO: The 49ers Just Received a Stunning Update on Maxx Crosby and Myles Garrett That Will Leave You Speechless! The latest development has sent shockwaves throughout the NFL, and fans are going wild trying to process the implications of this bold message. What does this mean for the team’s future, and how will this impact their chances of making a deep playoff run? Stay tuned for more updates as this story continues to unfold! 🚨🏈

SAN FRANCISCO DROP A BOMBSHELL: 49ers Hit With Bold Message on Maxx Crosby, Myles Garrett The San Francisco 49ers’ pass rush was one of the league’s biggest…

BREAKING NEWS: Travis Kelce’s courageous leap of faith pays off! He signs a two-year contract with the San Francisco 49ers worth $48 million, including multiple performance-based incentives. Driven by a passion for greatness, Kelce is drawn to the 49ers’ dynamic offensive system and their unwavering commitment to championship excellence. He believes this move will unleash his full potential, empowering him to reach new heights and inspire a generation of athletes. Head coach Kyle Shanahan envisions Travis Kelce as the catalyst who will propel the 49ers’ offense to unprecedented success, igniting a thrilling new era in San Francisco! 💥

BREAKING NEWS: Travis Kelce, one of the most talented and dynamic tight ends in NFL history, has officially signed a two-year contract with the San Francisco 49ers…

AT LAST! LIVERPOOL SEAL BASTONI DEAL — ANFIELD EXPLODES AS MEDICAL BEGINS!

¡AL FIN! LIVERPOOL CONFIRMA EL ACUERDO POR BASTONI — ¡ANFIELD EXPLOTA MIENTRAS INICIAN LOS EXÁMENES MÉDICOS! El Liverpool ha sellado un acuerdo histórico por el defensa Bastoni, quien ha firmado un contrato por seis años. La afición estalla de júbilo mientras el club confirma el traspaso de récord británico. La noticia ha causado una ola […]

SKY SPORTS CONFIRMS NEW CONTRACT!JÜRGEN KLOPP SHOCKS WORLD: SIGNS NEW CONTRACT WITH LIVERPOOL!

Liverpool FC fans, brace yourselves! In a stunning development, Jurgen Klopp has officially signed a new contract with the club, ensuring his continued leadership in what has been one of the most successful managerial eras in modern football. This news has sent shockwaves through the football world. After months of swirling rumors and uncertainty regarding […]

Breaking!! Dallas gave him flashes — Atlanta could give him freedom. PFF believes the Falcons are the best landing spot for Cowboys All-Pro receiver George Pickens in free agency, citing role clarity and offensive fit. The potential impact is already fueling league-wide buzz.

Dallas Cowboys Face Franchise Tag Dilemma With All-Pro WR George Pickens The Dallas Cowboys are approaching a crucial offseason decision involving NFL All-Pro wide receiver George Pickens,…