UPDATE: Latest Dodgers international moves hint they’re getting close to good Roki Sasaki news

World Baseball Classic Semifinals: Mexico v Japan

As the Los Angeles Dodgers prepare to offer Roki Sasaki a contract when the international signing period opens Jan. 15, they certainly seem confident that the Japanese phenom is going to accept it.

The Dodgers have some of the deepest pockets in Major League Baseball and typically spare no expense when it comes to pursuing coveted free agents, but Sasaki’s international prospect status limits MLB teams to signing him strictly using their international bonus pool money.

Given these restrictions, Los Angeles is already trying to gain an edge over their competition by clearing bonus pool space and even putting other international signings on hold.

Latest Dodgers international moves hint they’re getting close to Roki Sasaki decision

Following Marcos Grunfeld’s report from earlier this week that the Dodgers were asking members of their 2025 international signing class to hold off until 2026 in order to clear space in this year’s bonus pool, Francys Romero reported Saturday that the club had brought back to the market two of its highest bonuses for thus year’s international signing period: shortstop Darrell Morel (Dominican Republic, $1.1M) and outfielder Orlando Patiño (Venezuela, $400,000).

The Pittsburgh Pirates have reportedly already swooped in and nabbed Morel, who is now expected to sign with Pittsburgh for a $1.7 million bonus – $600,000 more than his original offer from the Dodgers – when the international signing period opens Jan. 15.

L.A. currently has $5.1 million in international bonus pool money of a maximum amount of just over $7.5 million.

In sending Morel and Patiño back to the market and asking their other international signees to delay their signing by a year, the Dodgers are squeezing out every dollar they have to make a competitive offer Sasaki.

Sasaki is expected to sign with an MLB team in the next international signing period, which opens Jan. 15. A second round of meetings with teams is expected to take place around this time, though whether the Dodgers have received a second meeting with the 23-year-old pitcher is not known at this time.

That said, it was already widely believed that Sasaki would land in Los Angeles. The Dodgers’ latest international moves have all but confirmed it.

Related Posts

Dodgers’ Shocking Plan to Retain Max Muncy in 2026 Defies All Odds. Insider’s Bold Claim Hints at a Blockbuster Move That’ll Stun Rivals. LA’s Slugger Is Poised to Rewrite the Diamond Script

Dodgers ‘Likely’ to Bring Back Max Muncy in 2026, Says Insider The Los Angeles Dodgers are eagerly awaiting the return of their third baseman. When healthy, Max Muncy…

Michael Conforto Exposes Dave Roberts’ Fiery Ultimatum to Dodgers as September Looms. The Skipper’s Bold Rally Cry Ignites a High-Stakes Pennant Chase. LA’s Clubhouse Is Buzzing with Do-or-Die Energy

Michael Conforto Reveals Dave Roberts’ Message to Dodgers as September Nears September is right around the corner, and there is still no clear frontrunner for the National…

Dodgers’ Megastar Spills on Vicious Fan Jab That Triggered a Stunning Shohei Ohtani Shake-Up. This Scorching Insult Ignited a Game-Changing Play That’ll Leave LA Fans Speechless. The Diamond Drama Just Hit a Wild New Peak

The Los Angeles Dodgers have been rolling ever since winning the final game of their latest series with the division rival San Diego Padres. Since then, they’ve…

Deadspin | Mets C Francisco Alvarez plans to play through pinky fracture

Deadspin | Mets C Francisco Alvarez plans to play through pinky fracture

Juan Soto’s Mets Bombshell: Francisco Lindor Isn’t Team’s True Leader

Francisco Lindor isn’t the New York Mets real leader? Not according to Juan Soto.

Mets’ Nolan McLean has three word message about Jonah Tong debut

Nolan McLean kept it short and simple when asked about Jonah Tong’s first big league appearance.