Yankees’ aggressive back-up plan if Juan Soto doesn’t re-sign is ‘floating around’

Right fielder Juan Soto is the free agent prize that seemingly will launch this quiet free agency period because teams that miss out will pivot to Plan Bs, where payroll can be reallocated to other stars.

For the New York Yankees, who met with Soto on Nov. 18, that means an aggressive back-up plan that will fill many of their holes. USA TODAY Sports’ Bob Nightengale revealed the expensive post-Soto fix Monday:

If the New York Yankees don’t re-sign Juan Soto, one back-up plan floating around is signing free-agent first baseman Christian Walker, sign either Willy Adames or Alex Bregman to play third, shift Jazz Chisholm to second base, trade for Cubs center fielder Cody Bellinger, and then use the extra money to sign Burnes, Fried or Snell.

RESTORING THE GLORY

That seems like a Plan B on overdrive, and it would mean owner Hal Steinbrenner taking on a lot more immediate salary at a time when he said a $300 million payroll was too high, though it would theoretically come with flexibility past Year 6 or 7 of Soto’s deal. These moves would fill major needs, and an argument could be made that they would make the Yankees a better all-around team — if Soto weren’t the only player they added (which would not be the case).

Let’s use The Athletic’s contract projections:

Right field: Juan Soto (13 years, $611 million; $47 million average annual value)

First base: Christian Walker (two years, $44 million; $22 million AAV)

Third base: Willy Adames (six years, $150 million; $25 million AAV)

Third base: Alex Bregman (seven years, $189 million; $27 million AAV)

Starting pitcher: Corbin Burnes (seven years, $217 million; $31 million AAV)

Starting pitcher: Max Fried (five years, $140 million; $28 million AAV)

Starting pitcher: Blake Snell (four years, $110 million; $27.5 million AAV)

Center field: Cody Bellinger (one year, $27.5 million; player option for $25 million in 2025)

NJ Advance Media’s Bob Klapisch wrote recently that the Yankees could pivot to a spread-the-money back-up plan, with several of the big names Klapisch included:

So prepare to say hello to the Plan B newcomers Steinbrenner and GM Brian Cashman are quietly considering: ace Corbin Burnes, third baseman Alex Bregman, first baseman Christian Walker and right fielder Anthony Santander.

For what it’s worth, 12 of 18 executives polled by ESPN in a story published last week said that they’d expect Soto to return to the Yankees.

On Sunday, ESPN’s Buster Olney reported that initial offers will be made to Soto this week.

With the Yankees in 2024, Soto enjoyed the best 162-game season of his career. In 157 games, he slashed .288/.419/.569 and posted career highs in hits (156), run scored (128), home runs (41) and OPS+ (178).

Related Posts

Đã suy nghĩ trong 8s METS RED ALERT: Top executives are quietly warning that signing Framber Valdez would be a costly mismatch for New York’s rotation. His walk issues, contact-heavy approach, and lingering durability doubts could flip a marquee signing into a season-long liability. Before the front office pulls the trigger on a $150M-plus gamble that risks derailing the Mets’ push, the warning signs are flashing..ll

The Hot Stove season is officially underway in Queens, and a major rumor has the New York Mets emerging as the favorites to sign left-handed starter Framber Val

YANKEES IN TURBULENCE: Growing instability in New York could push the Yankees toward a reunion with a versatile infielder, sparking talk of a “steadying move” the roster may desperately need..ll

Anthony Volpe’s offseason surgery puts the Yankees in a weird place in the infield.

MET SWOOP: Dodgers’ free agent outfielder signs with the New York Mets, adding firepower to the roster and shaking up the NL East offseason landscape..ll

The Los Angeles Dodgers lost a free agent, as he signed a minor league deal with the New York Mets on Tuesday.

Mets, kèm bản Anh & Việt: SMALL MOVES, BIG IMPACT: The 5 most interesting under-the-radar roster additions the New York Mets have made this offseason — subtle tweaks that could secretly reshape the entire year..ll

The MLB offseason is so young it hasn’t even begun to eat solids. After Thanksgiving is when movement seems to truly pick up. So far, we’ve seen the New York Me

COHEN’S ANGRY WAKE-UP CALL: Re-grading the 2021 New York Mets shopping spree after Steve Cohen woke up furious, sparking fresh debate on which signings were steals, which were mistakes, and how the spending spree truly aged..ll :

New York Mets owner Steve Cohen woke unhappy on November 24, 2021. It was the eve of Thanksgiving and Steve Matz had signed with the St. Louis Cardinals rather

YANKEES GO NUCLEAR: New York Yankees predicted to sign a $460 million four-time All-Star and World Series champion to counter the Blue Jays’ Dylan Cease move, setting up an AL East arms race like never before..ll

The Yankees could fight fire with fire.